Tuesday, August 20, 2013

5. Outcast!

"Outcast?" I gasp "How- Why? What did I do? Where will I go? Oh, please. PLEASE! Don't make me go into the outlands and face the aliens!"

The calm faces of the committee make me want to scream and burst through the doors to my Mom and Dad. How can they send a seven year old girl into the outlands as an outcast and not even show any sympathy  How can a group of grown humans be so cruel?

"We have noticed that you... wonder... too much. You ponder things that you have been trained not to think about. We also found that you have quite a large stash of outside influence that must be sparking this... Unnecessary questioning. Therefore, we will lead you to the outcast gate, and from there... You are on your own!"

"Please! Don't send me out! What will you tell my parents?" Though I am truly curious about what they will say, I also hope that... maybe, they hadn't thought that far and, if they can't come up with anything will assign me, just like every one else.

"That you have been chosen, along with Rachael, to Find Kevin." The man talking is obviously enjoying my despair. The man's lips spread wide across his face in a blood chilling smile, exposing his crooked blackened teeth. his dark eyes seem to glow like fire. If he hadn't just spoken English, I might think he was one of those dreaded aliens that, it is said, roam the outlands, ready to devour anyone not armed and trained. It is said that they can see right through you, and see if you have the power to defeat them. I shudder, now I desperately wish I had a "heavenly father", like the girl in that journal had. 

If my father was heavenly, he could know I was is desperate trouble right now, and jump in to save the day. But my father is just a normal father, brave and loving, yes, but not... "heavenly". I whisper the word under my breath. It seems to bring a little peace, but at the same time, fierce jealousy for the girl that had what I so desperately want- No! NEED! I think, I NEED someone to save me, but I have no one!

"What was that, miss Kayla?" I look up to see Mr. Buxton is the one speaking now. I quickly try to think of something to say, but my brain feels like in is in a hurricane of emotion! I am jealous and peaceful and mad and on the edge of screaming. I want to shout out, "YOU! You said that I would be on the ZAG! You almost GUARANTEED it! And now you stand behind Mr. Alien here, and make me an outcast!!" Instead I hold my tongue. Speech like that would not help me get out of this fix. I have to think of be clever, like Kevin.

"Uuuh..." I begin, trying to stall just a few more moments to think. I know that I don't have much time.

"Well, since it appears to be nothing, shall we proceed with the-" 

"Can I say goodbye to my parents?" I blurt out, interrupting Mr. Alien (I know that is not his real name, but I don't know what his real name is and "Mr. Alien" seems like a good fit for the occasion)

There was a wave of very hushed murmurs between the committee members and I feel a spark of hope rise into my chaotic head.

"Well," Mr. Buxton is the first to speak. "I don't see what could be that bad if the young lady wants to simply say goodbye-"

"No!" Mr. Alien bangs his fist on the table and stands up leaning forward with his knuckles pressed firmly against the surface. "You!-" he cuts his furious tone off and tries to cover his outburst with a chuckle. "You are a clever one, miss Kayla." The way he says my name makes me cringe. "Did you really think we would fall for a silly trick like that? Well, you are quite mistaken, squirt." His eyes narrow, knowingly. How would he know to call me small? How did he know that would cut me? "I may not look it, but I am cunning, and I will never fall for little tricks like those of a seven year old... Outcast. Take her to the gate!"

As two guards rush forward and grasp my arms painfully tight, I finally let go of my self control. Trying to rip away from their firm grasp, I scream and yell.

"You can't do this to me! Help! HELP! Someone! PLEASE!"

Tears begin to flow down my face, uncontrollably. They shove me to the gate for outcasts and I scratch back the tears, determined to look more confident than Rachael had been. I take a few deep breaths and march into the glass hallway.

The world seems to slow down. I see the backs of the community and the stunned faces of the kids my age. Then the community turns to face me and Dad and Mom push to the glass. It feels like the world has frozen and the gaze of every living being is fixed on me. I had been determined to be better than Rachael, but I'm not Rachael. She- She didn't just hear news of her brother being lost in the outlands. She had simple scurried along the hallway to get out of sight, but I... I cover my face with my hands, so embarrassed, so hummiliated, and run to the open door. Not knowing what to lies ahead, not knowing anything, but my own shame.

4 comments:

  1. it is really good Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, what you are doing with the book is really good.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! MY! GOODNESS!!!!!!! Nicole!!!! How could you!!!!!!!!!
    OUTCAST!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it!... But OH! Poor Kayla! That would be... like... the END OF THE WORLD!

    You sure do know how to keep us on our seats, Nicky.

    Thanks for another great chapter!

    ReplyDelete