Friday, March 14, 2014

20. Caught

I froze when I looked back into that eery room. The green lights went off, and I sat in one position for a few minutes, 'till now. The lights still spark up in a grid all around. There's no way I can find Kayla in this maze! I think to myself. I don't know why, but... I feel like I have to help Kayla. I feel, strangely, responsible for her.

I slowly stand, still trying to figure out what to do. I could follow the hallways and climb back down through the same trap door as before. I suggested to myself. Or... I could try peeking around to find another trap door. I'm not sure what is the best way to go, but I don't try to retrace my steps.

I walk from vent to vent, following a random hallway. With each room or new branch of the hallway I start down, I never see any people. It's like the whole place is deserted! But why would they try so hard to guard it, if there wasn't anything in it? I come to another wall with vents in it, but this one is barely lit. From my view through the vent, I can see x shaped tables, raised on large, metal poles, all the way to the glass roof. Green leaves and vines hang over the edges, and a soft, orange light illuminates the room.

I notice a thick, metal door at one end of the large, green-house-like room. I flip over onto my back, lifting my feet to kick away the vent. Just then, I hear a faint voice. Though muffled and somewhat robotic, it is definitely a voice, and I follow it.

I pause, eyes closed, trying to hear where the sound is coming from. I crawl a few feet. My hand brushes over a crack in the metal ceiling. I open my eyes. Another trap door! I grasp the nob and turn it. I open it a crack. 

"Wake up call! Wake up call! Wake-" The voice becomes clearer. No wonder I didn't see anyone. They must've all been asleep!

 A rumbling rattles the nob in my hand. Another ventilation cycle! I quickly glance around the green house room below; no one in sight. But how long will it stay like that? The wind blasts, the trap door flies open, and I tumble through the opening.

I land on a hard floor, slamming my chest, nose, and forehead to the ground. I moan and roll onto my back. The voice stops and the winds increase. A strong gust blows out of the opening, and down to my face. I rub my forehead as I stand, looking for a way to climb back up.

I hear footsteps. My heart skips a beat! Is that person coming in here? My eyes search the room, looking for something to hide behind. Beside the metal poles that reach all the way up to the glass roof, the few tables that lay around the edges and fridges, there is nothing!

The footsteps reach the large metal door, and voices follow. Something makes a beeping sound and the doors begin to open. I resort to hope as I roll underneath a table with vines hanging over the edges. I scoot as closed to the wall as I can and flatten myself to it, begging for shadows to cover me.

I see a pair of white shoes skip into the room, white pants wrinkle at the ankles.  I close my eyes, hoping he won't see me.

I hear his footsteps begin to circle around the room. They come closer and closer until I hear them right in front of my face. I open my eyes, the white shoes just twelve inches from me. I hold my breath.

A tomato falls off the table and rolls gently toward my head. The person drops down to their knees and pokes her head through the vines.

"KAYLA!" I shout and jump to my knees, banging my head on the solid metal table.

Kayla completely ignores me! It is like she doesn't see or hear me! She reaches out for the tomato. I grab it and hand it to her, confused at why she would ignore me.

"Kayla? Why are you here? I thought-"

Kayla screams, hitting her head on the table's edge as she retreats. I quickly scramble out after her and jump to my feet.

"Kayla! What's wrong?" I ask, shaken by her sudden terror.

Kayla's screams get louder, her wide eyes following my hand and the tomato. A large figure rushes into the room to stand beside Kayla.

"Miss Dalery! What on Mars is the matter?" He asks with a tone of disgust.

"Mr.- Mr. Crosswell!" She gasps and points at me.

The man- Mr. Crosswell?- turns toward me and gasps.

Kayla stammers, "The- The tomato! It... FLOATS!"

What? I glance at the tomato in my hand. But I'm standing right here! I'm holding it! I drop it on the ground.

"Kayla! I'm right here! Why are you ignoring me?" I take a step forward, but three shadows appear in the doorway and I catch glimpse of a guard uniform. I turn, jump onto the tall table filled with tomatoes, and, by some miracle, jump high enough to grasp the edge of the trap door. I pull myself through and slam it shut. I sigh with relief, but crawl quickly over to the circular wall and peer through a vent.

Three guards walk into the room and walk stealthily to stand right beneath me. Mr. Crosswell stoops over and picks up the tomato, a solemn look on his face.

I hear a guard whisper to another, "Did you see that?" He points toward the trap door. "One of the young guards was in here playing tricks on the Zermedine members! I guess he saw us coming because he jumped up into that door. Boy, is he gonna get a beating when we tell Mr. Xelger!"

I choke...  I've been caught!

3 comments:

  1. This book is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their *gasp* *stutter* invisible? The guards are invisible? Awesome! But poor Jake. He has no idea, does he? Thanks for another great chapter!

    ReplyDelete