Thursday, February 20, 2014

17. A Dark Presence

When I woke up the next morning I stared up at the rotting base piece of the bunk above me, not sure what this girl would be like. The guards told us that her name was Kayla Dalery and all of her background, but they also said that she wouldn't remember anything. How was I supposed to tell someone where they came from and what their name was? I had only seen her once and she had looked dead. But, if she really had forgotten everything I expected her to be really confused and ,maybe, grateful to know.

With that I jumped out of my bunk with the other boys and raced to the small meal room. On the way there I saw the girl - Kayla - step out of her room. I was sort of surprised because the girls usually were in their room longer "getting ready", and were just coming out when us boys went out to play kickball or football before school.

She was staring strangely at the younger boys as they ran past. I was tempted to just pass by.  But, in the stampede of boys now rushing down the hallway for breakfast, I forced myself to walk over to her. I swallowed and mustered the most casual voice possible.

"So, Kayla... What's wrong?" I asked with a smile and hoped that it wasn't too weird for her that I knew something was wrong.

She looked horrified, and I wondered if talking to her had been the wrong decision. I mean, if I woke up one morning and didn't know anything about anything, I might want some space.

She shifted uncomfortable and nearly shouted, "How do you, and everyone else on this planet for that matter, know my name!"

I was shocked! She knew her name? And why would she say 'everyone else on this planet'? That just didn't fit! I quickly realized that my face was betraying my knowledge of her.

I inwardly slapped myself. I went on to say, "Sorry about that," and introduce myself. She asked some funny questions and when I reached out my hand to shake hers she was completely clueless about what to do. I nearly gave myself away again, but somehow I survived to take her to Aunt Biltnee's before school.

I couldn't focus. My teacher called on me many times and I didn't even hear. Finally, I couldn't handle it and asked if I could step outside and sit on the steps. I guess my normally good behavior and study habits bought me this free ticket out of school, because, to my surprise, she actually agreed!

I spent the rest of the school hours, tossing and catching a baseball. The events starting the night before played over and over again in my mind. I tried to figure out the best route to take when I went to pick Kayla up. The Janitor and I were the only ones who knew about Kayla and her being brought here. I wasn't sure if the adults would notice her, probably not. But the kids definitely wouldn't. Well, if she was any good at kickball they might. My mind was so enveloped in thought, I forgot to catch the ball. It hit my head and rolled away, across the lawn, under the porch of the antique shop.

I ran to retrieve it, wedging myself into the tight space. I reached as far as I could, but the ball was too far. Then, I noticed a section in the shadows that was too solid. My reflexes shot me out from under the porch and shoved me across the lawn, back to my spot on the steps.

My head throbbed from hitting it on the porch in my retreat. I closed my eyes, trying to shake the shock off. I had come inches from the face of one of the guard men.

I opened my eyes and looked back at the antique shop. Maybe you just imagined it, Jake. You're just having nightmares... during... the day...um... yeah... I tried to comfort myself. No one's in danger. Just then, my baseball rolled out from under the porch. This was no dream. 

The bell suddenly rang and school was let out. The kids flooded out shouting and laughing. Someone called, "Hey, everyone! I'm starting a kickball game in fifteen minutes! If you want to play, be there!"

They all rushed off toward the field. I stood, flowing with the current of my friends. I picked up my ball and quickly made my way away from the shop. When I passed Aunt Biltnee's home, Kayla was waiting on the steps. I smiled and waved.

Something moved ever so slightly in the shadows behind the small home. Two tiny glimmers stared straight at me and I shivered. The figure noticed me and pulled something into view. A gun! Then the figure disappeared behind the house. I realized that I was losing my focus, but how was I supposed to focus when there where armed, hidden men, all around the town. And I wasn't really sure why. One thing I knew for sure, though; they were here, they were watching. I was the slippery trigger finger. If I failed... who knew what would happen.

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT, NICOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! Talk about pressure! I am glad to know that it is Jake talking. I love the point of view change. Your book is so great!

    ReplyDelete