Tuesday, September 3, 2013

7. A Thought that Changes Everything

I am awakened by a knock on my helmet. I open my eyes to see Rachael, helmet against mine, shouting out something to me, but I can't hear what.

I wish we could talk. I inwardly groan. What is she saying?

I sigh and begin to get up, but before I even lift my head of the ground I hear a familiar, whisper in my head.

Use your eyecube to talk to one another. Ziri says. Turning on radio app.

The glowing screen pops up again and through a blur of actions it hides back as a glowing dot in the corner of my eye. I look around for a sign of a microphone or... I don't know. 

"Thanks, Ziri, you get my hopes up for nothing. I have half a mind to un-install you!" I shout to my helmet visor.

"Kayla?" I hear a slightly fuzzy voice, but this time it is in my ears! "Kayla, do you hear me?"

"Ummm..." I frantically look for something to speak to. "I, uh, do you hear me?" I turn my head to her, sitting beside me, but I can't see through the glare on her helmet.

"Yes!" She jumps to her feet and claps her hands together. "Yes! I can hear you perfectly!"

"What are we speaking to?" I ask and she heaves my onto my feet.

"Wow, you're sm-" I whip my head to her and glare, though I know she can't see me.

"Um... Nothing!" She acts cheerful to cover up her mistake. "We're not speaking to anything! I guess our words, since they go through are brain, Ziri can read them and send them to each other!"

I soften my glare not really hearing what she says. I know, I know. I am small, and she won't say it again. She knows... doesn't she?

I stop dusting my suit off and look back at Racheal. Don't you? I think, not really wanting to ask her.

"Oh, I am so sorry Kayla." She sobs. "Yes, I know. I really do, it just slips out! I mean, I can't help it! You really are so tin-... Oh, never mind. What's the use? I'll just leave you now. I know you don't want me here so I won't bother you anymore. Good... bye, Kayla." I hear her sigh and she begins trudging away, to... the outlands.

I want to run after her and apologize and make things right, but I am frozen where I  am, she heard... my thoughts? I shudder and whirl back to the Zermedine. Well... if Racheal can... Can they?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I kick the red dirt under my feet, and Rachael walks beside me.

"Don't worry Kayla. I believe you! And we are going to be friends now, remember?" 

"Yeah, it's not that. I mean, I'm glad things are settled between us after all those years, but... Well..." I just can't seem to find the right words. I turn off radio contact for a bit to organize my thoughts before telling them to Rachael.  

Imagine! All that time! I wondered how they knew I wondered about things! They can read my thoughts, just like Ziri can! I shudder again and turn the radio back on.

"-ello-o! Kayla, this isn't funny!" Rachael's voice flows back in.

"Sorry Rachael. I needed to think, by myself."

"Why?"

"Because I have something to tell you. And it might have something to do with why we got Outcast. "

7 comments:

  1. Urrrrgggg! Not ANOTHER cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! you are killing me Nicole!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what she is going to say. :) I can't wait to read it in the next chapter, though. So don't use that as an excuse to take longer at posting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I'm going to start writing the next chapter to my book and I was wondering, Michaela, could you email me before I post it, and tell me what you think she is going to say? I think it would be really cool if you knew! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, Michaela! You are SOOOOOOOOOO close! ;)

    (P.S. Sorry, I would write the chapter sooner, but I just got a swimdress order. I will just leave you all in suspense a little longer. MUA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAA!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! why would you get a swim dress order? it is the beginning of fall!

    ReplyDelete