Monday, December 9, 2013

13. Tell me? What?

I step out onto the street, now deserted and still, and obey Mrs. Biltnee's final instruction; "wait on the steps for Jerry", of course I know, or at least hope I know, she must mean Jake. So I sit and wait, relieved that the weird and seemingly endless "rehab" exercises, and brain stretchers are done and over with.

A bell rings and suddenly the whole street sparks to life with dozens of people running, talking, calling, and working. In the sudden flurry I manage to notice Jake run down the steps of a building which the bell is attached to with lots of other kids. The wave of kids start to swim by me, but Jake breaks off and walks over to Mrs. Biltnee's doorstep.

"Ready?" he asks, I hold back from asking 'ready for what?', and just nod.

"Good, come on! All the kids are going out to the field to play kick-ball!"

I zip up my hoodie and follow him toward the children and the field. At the field, they all convince me to play (even though I really don't want to and they all just happen to know my name so I am wierded out.).  We divide into teams, and play a couple rounds, but I don't get to do anything. By the third round, I have a turn to kick. The ball rolls, I kick, my team screams, I run around first base, I run around second base, I...

Is that a cloud? On earth? Could it be that same cloud that Jake had talked about? I must have run off track because my teams starts yelling in a sort of sobbing tone. I don't really notice, just run toward the cloud. Then I feel that intruding feeling of need. Though  my head knows I don't need to go there, in fact, I know I probably shouldn't go there, I have that same, un-explainable, artificial feeling of need and want. Suddenly I know, it is the ROCK! The rock is calling me! I have to go!

I ignore the sound of my name being shouted, and screams of the littler children, I just run. I guess subconciously I know I am going to pass out before I get there just like the last two times, but the rock that I now know - think-  is the one giving me these feelings, is overpowering and I can't resist it.

Once I have the rock back, I can keep it with me and then I won't run off like mad anymore.

My feet get tangled, I stumble over and barely catch myself from landing head first in a mud pit.  I look up and smile, once again thankful for the intrusion of stumbling. I might be knee deep in mud if I hadn't tripped. I turn to untangle my feet-

"Jake!?"

Jake releases my feet, "I promised Aunt Biltnee I'd keep both eyes on you... I didn't think that'd mean nearly diving into that swamp.(chuckle) You know you scared the boots off all those little kids back there! What in the name of Mike are you doing anyhow?"

"Ummm..." I can't think of a reasonable excuse for running off base, out to the middle of no where, and nearly running straight into a giant mud swamp 'on accident'. "I... I... I didn't want to play kick-ball in the first placed! I don't want to be on earth! I don't want a complete stranger that seems to know more about me than I do, following me around every where I go! And I certainly don't want to stay like this, desperately confused and lost girl that has to watched like a pet so I won't run my self into the ground or into a wall. I JUST WANT TO GO HOME!" I bury my  head into my knees and wrap my arms around my legs, in complete despair, but slightly relieved to get out a sliver of my feelings.

Jake sighs, stands, brushes himself off and holds out a hand for me.

"Kayla... (sigh) I can't take it any longer.... Kayla, I have something....well, I'm not supposed to tell you, but.... I need to tell you. Come on."

12 comments:

  1. YOU!!!!!!!! You just HAD to end it there! What is he going to say!
    You are so good at writing.
    MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM GOING TO KILL YOU NICOLE SHARON ELLIOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIRST YOU QUIT VIOLIN THEN YOU END RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, I didn't just "quit" violin, I just really want to play fiddle, and second, if you read anything I write... expect a cliff hanger. I think I would strangle myself if I ended without one. (which makes me kind of scared for when it ends...)

      Delete
  3. NICOLE, KAYLA DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY KICK BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides, you know how much you and I LOVE kick ball. Just a suggestion, Sydney, if you strangle Nicole, she can't write the next chapter. Nicole, thank you for your patience with us since we want to read more of your chapters:) :) :) :) :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am so glad you caught that. I guess that was my way of saying "she is REALLY in a bad mood and EXTREMELY out of sorts!"

      Delete
  4. NICOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I said I wanted more after the last chapter I didn't mean to end there! :) If it weren't for what Sarah just pointed out I would help Cydney strangle you! :)

    I heard you are taking violin lessons from a new teacher now who is teaching you fiddle! That is fun! I have always wanted to take fiddle! We will miss you at the violin recital, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I sort of wish that were true, but the truth is that I haven't found a fiddle teacher yet. Correction- I've found a fiddler, but I don't know if she teaches or if she'll take a new student.

      Delete
  5. what does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DITTO? It basically means, "Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing."

      :D HAHA!

      Delete