Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Part Two

I've known about this place for a long time, and it wasn't hard to see that it was hiding something bad. I came here a long time ago, and they warned me not to return. Everyone in my town started spreading and believing some story about a guy named Jake that, "wandered into the clutches of the cloud and was never seen again". I assumed that the guards must have started it and that  it was meant as an extra warning, so I didn't dare go near. 

All that changed when the guards came to me. 

I was walking home after running a late errand for Mrs. Biltnee, when someone clamped onto my arm and yanked me into an alley. I stood, looking up at a bulky, muscle-man wearing a black, padded uniform that only added to his powerful and sinister look. He told me that he knew I had been to 'the cloud' before. And, in his own way, sort of praised me for staying away. His arm never relaxed as it held me in place. Then He told me that the reason they didn't want people there, was for their own good. It was a factory that was creating new weapons, and they didn't want anyone to get hurt if it exploded.

I knew better than to just believe a guy that freely gave out "top secret" information to a boy walking down an empty street. But I was too scared to talk, being in the perfect position for him to kidnap me.

He told me that because I knew the secret, I was somewhat part of the mission. My first job was to keep, "her" in check.

Another guard stepped out of the shadows, though I could have sworn that the alley had been empty with the exception of the first guard and me. That gave me the creeps, knowing that I couldn't know how many of these dark, grim figures were in here. No one was around to hear me if I shouted for help.

This guard was much smaller than the first. If he wasn't so stern, I would say he was just older than me. Behind him he dragged a bright red hoodie. He stooped down and lifted a pitiful girl to her immobile feet. The second guard explained to me that she had run all the way to the 'factory' and passed out. She still hadn't woken up. He said that he feared this prolonged unconsciousness had possibly wiped her memory. 

With that, the guards dragged the girl and shoved me toward the orphanage. They informed the only adult there, a janitor, who she was. He said, that the town hadn't noticed her before because she was so small and quiet, but she had lived here for a long time. The guard explained that both her parents died three years ago and that she was likely to have forgotten everything about her past. So we all would have to pretend that we have know her all our lives. 

They dropped her on the ground and left us there. I was amazed that the janitor wasn't suspicious. I wanted to tell him what those guards had told me. But, when I glanced out the window to watch them leave, I saw dozens of black figures shuffling around and crouching into the shadows. I was going to have to do what they said, or I knew something terrible would happen to everyone in the town.

 I didn't know what kind of danger it was that I sensed. But in many ways, that is the worst possible kind of danger. I didn't know how to get rid of it or how long I could lie to that pitiful girl. But, I would have to try; for me, for her, for everyone. Still, that was where I failed.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Nicole, your story is really taking an unusual twist! I kind of figured that part 2 probably wouldn't be from Kayla's firsthand perspective. Can't wait to read more!

    Mika :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's perspective is it from? Jake's?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I feel so enlightened. I thought that "the end" meant the end of the book which is why I thought it was a fake chapter, but now I see there is a part two and I am so glad! I can't wait to read more!... I still can't believe you let Kayla get brainwashed, though... that was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your new background, Nicole! Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just got it from a google search.
      I am sorry I missed you on your blog this morning. I was really bummed when I checked my email and saw your comments. I thought, "Awww! NO, Rebekah. COME BACK. Don't leave me!".

      Ok... that was over dramatized, but I am really sorry. I hope we can chat another time soon!

      Delete
  6. Yah!

    I don't mean to sound pushy, but when is the next chapter coming? Your book is so good and I can't wait for more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why, Nicole! So it is not form Kaya'a perspective? Really? who is the boy? Is the girl in the red hood Kayla? It is a really amazing story! It keeps me on the edge of my seat. I kind of have a bad habit of begging for chapters, and I don't want to rush you, but I do really want to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete